Deep into JS wormhole with Mathias Buus, remove that pesky moment.js monstrosity, and start using something sane, follow github and remove all jquery, explore JS timers! It talks! Learn how to use Speech Synthesis, build SQL requests with ease. Turn node worker threads into routines!
whats up frontend
- Removing jQuery from GitHub.com frontend We have recently completed a milestone where we were able to drop jQuery as a dependency of the frontend code for GitHub.com. This marks the end of a gradual, years-long transition of increasingly decoupling from jQuery until we were able to completely remove the library. In this post, we will explain a bit of history of how we started depending on jQuery in the first place, how we realized when it was no longer needed, and point out that—instead of replacing it with another library or framework—we were able to achieve everything that we needed using standard browser APIs.
- Using the Speech Synthesis Interface of the Web Speech API Speech synthesis has come a long way since it’s first appearance in operating systems in the 1980s. In the 1990s Apple already offered system-wide text-to-speech support. Alexa, Cortana, Siri and other virtual assistants recently brought speech synthesis to the masses. In modern browsers the Web Speech API allows you to gain access to your device’s speech capabilities, so let’s start using it!
- wilk/microjob A tiny wrapper for turning Node.js worker threads into easy-to-use routines for heavy CPU loads. - wilk/microjob
- Node.js: Strapi and Express Admin Reviewed - Imaginary Cloud Strapi and Express Admin, two of the most popular Node.js Admin Panels reviewed and compared.
- ottomatica/Baker 👨🍳🍞 Quick and easy baking of computing environments. - ottomatica/Baker
- sindresorhus/ky Tiny and elegant HTTP client based on the browser Fetch API - sindresorhus/ky
- Financial-Times/n-express-monitor 🎯 configurable express decorator to automate log, metrics - Financial-Times/n-express-monitor